Monday, July 19, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Hello Readers! This Susan Sanford, again, library assistant.

I just finished alternately listening to and reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, Annie Barrows. I have to admit to being delightfully surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Sometimes I am disappointed in popular fiction but this one really charmed me. I laughed out loud and chuckled many times.

The book is written entirely in letters among a dozen or so characters with a couple of primary ones. In the case of this book, I definitely preferred listening to it over reading it, mostly because the audio book uses different actors/readers for each character and they all did such an excellent job. It piqued my interest in the Channel Islands (which I didn't know existed!) and life in England during World War II. This is Ms. Shaffer's first book. Her niece stepped in to help finish the book due to Ms. Shaffer's illness.

No comments: