Monday, July 19, 2010

Gail's recent books, movies and music...

I just finished reading "If This was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth" by Barbara Leaming. I have been interested in Rita Hayworth for about 25 years, ever since a former employer made an interesting comment about her. After all this time I finally picked up a book about her and truthfully I could hardly put it down. You can always tell when a book has an impact on me because I talk and talk about; it's like every day I have to give my family, friends and co-workers the update.
Rita Hayworth lived a Hollywood life that really mirrors so much of what we read in the headlines about celebrities today. A tragic childhood, a string of unhealthy relationships and failed marriages, the paparazzi it just goes on and on.
I was surprised to learn that Rita Hayworth had been married to Orson Wells and that she had loaned him large sums of money. While I've always known that Grace Kelly was married to a Prince I didn't know that Rita Hayworth wayworth was married to prince.
Rita was first and foremost known for for dancing with her beginnings going to back to a dance routine she did with her father, a Spanish native and dancer back to vaudeville days. I really don't want to say too much but I assure this book is a trip down memory lane and ties famous people together in surprising ways.
I was really shocked at how many peole used Rita for her beauty, talent and earning power.
Sadly Rita fell victim to early onset Alzheimer's and died in her 60's, it also broke my heart that diagnoses came late and those early onset symptoms were thought to be the result of a drinking problem damaging Rita's reputation.
This book gave me a whole new respect for this legendary beauty.

So what do you suppose I have been watching? Nothing other than Rita Hayworth movies of course. For my viewing enjoyment I selected "Gilda" one of Rita's most famous performances and her performance of "Blame It On Mame" is fabulous. The movie had a "Casablanca" kind of feel to it, yet it stands on its own as a good film. The movie will leave no doubt in your mind that Rita was one of America's most beautiful actress of all times.

What did I add to my ipod after this Rita book and film fetish? Well of course Rita Hayworth. The album is "The Heat Is On." I did hear somewhere that she didn't actually sing, it was lip synching in her movies and I'm not sure who is singing on record ~ After a brief Internet search I cannot confirm who is really singing but I will let you know if I find out.

No comments: