Thursday, August 26, 2010

The truth is....

I was fortunate enough to get to see the musical "Wicked" which is based on the book of the same name by Gregory Maguire. I must say this was a most clever telling of the "real" story of the Wicked Witch of the West. A line would be delivered and I would think, "Oh how very clever." I haven't read the book,although it is next to my night stand but unfortunately, it falls behind the the very thick book "Gone to Soldiers" by Marge Piercy.
Anyway, here is what I have to say...Yes "Wicked" was well fabulously wicked. The music was outstanding, special effects marvelous, vocals topnotch, acting superb...but what I didn't know until I saw the play was that it was all about the dangers of rumours, lies, misinformation and greed. "Wicked" has an amazing message. Turns this musical really nails it, our words have tremendous power and when you say something about someone or repeat something about someone you better make darn well you have your information strait, because words my friends have power. Yes, that's right your little rumour or lie or the casual way you talk about other people can cause pain, suffering, hard feelings or actually ruin a persons life.
A couple of other wonderful books about spreading rumours and the damage it can cause include "The Ladies Auxiliary" by Tova Mirvis and "Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna.

No comments: